Nowadays, there is also the heart of the home and the heart of your business. In each of these cases, your computer is the heart. Here are a couple of proactive steps you can take to keep that heart in tiptop shape and running for as long as possible:
1. Take preventive measures -regular updates, current malware protection, uninterruptible power supplies.
2. Perform regular maintenance – cleaning away dust from equipment inlets, checking power cords, cabling, system cleanup of useless files.
Amazon’s Alexa, Google Home, or Apple’s HomePod run your electronics through the power of the internet and supercomputers in your home.
Your home could also be run from your smart phone (another computer). It works using the internet and your intranet which is the computer running inside your home using your service provider, such Charter or Comcast.
Modem/router wireless connections, switches, printers, and smart TV’s can be considered computers (or the heart) in your home.
Your business also has computers at the heart of it. It doesn’t matter what the business is. A lot of businesses still use onsite servers, while others use the cloud exclusively. In both cases, hybrid systems should be used to protect your computers.
What is a hybrid system?
In keeping with the heart theme, it’s like having an AED (automatic electronic defibrillator), CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) and a heart surgeon with an artificial heart on standby in case your heart fails,
Here are three examples of hybrid systems:
1. Failover systems, such as hybrid backups. Here is how it works. If your server goes down, for whatever reason, a virtual server can be started up where you work from the virtual server until the regular server is fixed. Your virtual server can be either onsite or in the Cloud.
2. Internet failovers, such as automatic rollovers from wired internet to wireless internet access, could be used when your main internet provider fails.
3. Hybrid power, such as battery backups and/or generators, should already be in place if the main power fails.
In Tennessee this past year, disasters occurred where each of these hybrid solutions have come into play, keeping businesses in business. Being proactive can keep yourself, your home and business healthy for a long, long, time.
All the best and stay well,